Thursday, January 7, 2010

01-07-10 One Year Anniversary

Yep, that's right, I've been on the job for one year today. It's kind of funny that it didn't even dawn on me until after work. I knew that it was this week, but it kind of snuck past me. Happy birthday Downtown and Community Revitalization Department.


I started my day with a breakfast meeting at Patio Cafe with Phoebe Wall Howard. We had a far ranging discussion about Fresno's revitalization efforts. Phoebe is involved in many facets of Fresno and in projects all over the state. She has been a writer and has incredible networks in the community even though she and her family have moved to Mill Valley.


I got back to City Hall in time to watch the changing of the guard as Cynthia Sterling relinquished her role as Council President and handed the gavel to Larry Westerlund. Lee Brand will be the new Redevelopment Agency Chair and Blong Xiong will move from RDA Chair to RDA Vice-Chair.


I had a one on one meeting with our department's administrative manager George Smith. George had a full list of questions for me (he is always very thorough). One of the main items has been the potential for an Economic Administration grant for a commercial kitchen incubator which could be part of a downtown public market.


11:00 Amy Huerta and I had a one on one meeting focusing on the licensed contractor's affinity group and the potential to change the municipal code to strengthen the City's ability to enforce unlicensed contractors. Unlicensed contractors cause a great deal of havoc in a city. They can cause liability problems for residents and undercut legitimate businesses by offering below market bids because of their lack of workers' comp insurance, among other problems. Amy is also planning ways to increase the exposure of our remarkable local technology companies. We have several companies with nationwide customers. They don't get nearly the recognition that they deserve and Fresno doesn't get the benefits from having a strong tech base.


11:45 Elaine Robles and I went to the Luau Restaurant for lunch and to do some planning work for the metrics that we will use to measure the results that are happening in the Lowell neighborhood over the next few years.


1:30 We had a planning meeting with the Mayor, City Manager Andy Souza, Mayor's Chief of Staff Georgeanne White, Planning Director John Dugan, Public Utilities Director Rene Ramirez, Assistant Public Works Director Scott Mozier, Assistant Planning Director Keith Bergthold, Elliott Balch, Elaine Robles and little old me.


This meeting was to refine our presentation for council members next week about the City Administration's overall planning goals, timelines, requirements and processes. The downtown plan and downtown community plan will be the cornerstone for future planning efforts that will bring much of the activity back to the urban parts of Fresno. These efforts will fundamentally improve the quality of life for the residents of our city for many years to come and will change many of the underlying financial issues in our city's future. I know that I have said it before in this blog, but our new planning director is having a remarkably positive effect and will have a lasting impact on our town.


4:00 It was fitting that on our one year anniversary that we had a second meeting with the Mayor to discuss long term strategies for our revitalization efforts. The meeting was a review of our neighborhood revitalization strategies, especially as they relate to Lowell (the place where Fresno will learn how to revitalize neighborhoods). The Mayor, City manager, Georgeanne White, John Dugan, Keith Bergthold, Jerry Bishop, who heads code enforcement, Elaine and I were in this meeting.


We spent much of the time discussing strategies to combat slumlord issues which are a priority identified by the neighbors. Code enforcement is a major tool in getting negligent rental property owners to invest in and to maintain their properties in ways that improve the neighborhood and to provide quality housing for our residents.


5:30 I went to Chris Sorenson's studio on south Van Ness for ArtHop. I saw many old friends and artists there, including Chris. Many artists use this space and he opens it up for even more to show their work. If you've never been there and would like to visit, just send an email to me at craig.scharton@fresno.gov and I'll give you directions. It is just past the Best Little City arch.


6:45 I went by Heros to watch part of the national championship football game and had a great calzone. I had a chance to meet Patrick the new owner. This young man has a great attitude and I wish him great success in his efforts. He is going to launch a new menu tomorrow, so go by and check it out and give him a pat on the back for investing in our downtown!


I saw Jake Kojikian at the restaurant with one of his tenants from the Virginia Hotel and another friend of his from L.A. who is interested in investing in downtown. A nice upbeat way to finish my first birthday.


Home by 8:00 to finish watching the football game on the couch with my pup.


Thanks to everyone in our community, and especially our hardworking team, for their great support in year one! Now back to work...

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention you met your artist/facebook friend, Cynthia Mansuszak and saw her highly emotional, guy wrenching, raw, uninhibited, irrational art. If I spelled anything wrong, I did it on purpose!
    Anyway, it was great meeting you Mr. S. Are you the founder of Craig's list? Oh, I just thought that would be cute, I know you are not, but you are an artist, right? I forgot to mention, I also have a blog, well sort of, it became a blog more then a group thing, I write on http://my.fresnoarts.net/group/thewritinggroup,you are welcome to join up!

    ReplyDelete