Sunday, January 24, 2010

01-20-10 Economic Development Administration and Union Bank Meeting


This'll be a short post.



Our Administrative Manager George Smith and I met with the Regional Representative of the Economic Development Administration Wil Marshall at his office near the L.A. Airport. We gave him an overview of the downtown and neighborhood revitalization strategies. Wil gave us some insight into upcoming funding opportunities and some guidance about how to successfully apply for funding.


After the meeting, George drove back to Fresno and I drove down to San Diego for Union Bank's Community Advisory Board meeting.


A little recap on the Union Bank CAB. I applied for the CAB when I was still with the Central Valley Business Incubator and was appointed before I started at the City. The CAB is a three year appointment. The CAB has 10 members and was created to make recommendations about how the bank can be more responsive to community needs. I am the only San Joaquin Valley community member.


The January meeting is the organizational meeting for the upcoming year. Three new members joined the group. I am hoping to host the CAB meeting in Fresno this October. We meet for times per year. I am the Housing Committee Chair for the second year.


We met from 2:00p-9:00p on Wednesday, 8:00a-9:00p on Thursday, and 8:00a to 3:00pm on Friday. I drove home on Friday and was home at 10:00.


During our meeting we had presentations by the Retail Banking SVP, Home Mortgage SVP, Affordable Housing Finance SVP, Environmental VP and others. We also had two Board Members present.


It is very informative and it is also a great opportunity to represent the realities and needs of the Valley to folks who might otherwise overlook us. It is also wonderful to work with leaders from around the state who have a variety of interests in representing their communities.

Disclaimer:  I take vacation time while I am on the CAB.  I get a per diem from Union Bank for serving on the committee and I declare it on my Form 700 Income report.







No comments:

Post a Comment