Monday, November 9, 2009

11/9/09-A Doozy

NOTE:  spell check disappeared.  It used to be on the tool bar, but tonight it's missing.  Please forgive the spelling errors.

Yesterday-First, I want to say that I redeemed myself after my humiliating 6-1 loss to my wife in tennis last week.  Yes, I won 6-3 yesterday.  Bobby Riggs would be proud of me.

Today-I started off the day with a nice 2 mile jog/run with ol' Ellis this morning at 5:00.  I forgot to tell Coach Carter, but I'll let her know after tomorrow's effort.

8:00 meeting with Deb Nankivell (Fresno Business Council), Doug Davidian, Kristine Walter and Fresno Pacific University President Merril Ewert.  We met in Dr. Ewert's office.  The meeting was another in a successful chain of get-togethers regarding the Lowell neighborhood and our revitalization focus on Lowell.  I have to admit, I wasn't at my best.  I could blame it on too much caffeine or just wanting to get the week going, but I could have used a little deep breathing or other calming exercise.  It is interesting, after doing this kind of work in a variety of forms for many years.  There still are no directions.  It is really just a matter of trying my best and moving forward.

10:30  I got back to City Hall in time to meet with a new intern from Fresno State who is in the grant writing certificate program through the American Humanics program.  Darcy was a huge help on her very first day, finding information for a grant that we are working toward that would fund pest (cockroach, rat) infestation elimination in some of our urban neighborhoods.  These pests have a direct link to an increase in asthma in children...something I did not know.  Another example of how resources are begining to materialize and how valuable they can be.

12:00  I was on Mike Briggs on-line news program.  This was very interesting.  He has a studio in the back of his real estate office in the Tower District.  He does a daily show, that is repeated throughout the week.  Others do shows from there as well.  It is amazing how accessible the media is to almost everyone now.  I'm not sure how to get to the show to watch it, but it should be a relatively easy search.  The topic was downtown revitalization.

1:15  I had a nice, quiet lunch by myself at Ribs 'n Tip on Divisadero and Broadway (Echo actually).  A great tri-tip sandwich and great pilaf.  If you haven't tried them yet, it is worth the trip.

2:00  Amy, Fernando and I met with the Business Tax Division to learn more about their new software's capabilities.  We have an interest in the usability of the software, what the City has had in the past is archaic.  The new software should allow us to do quieries so that we can begin to put together better lists for our business affinity groups and to create an on-line directory for locally owned businesses like restaurants and retailers.

3:30 I did a walking tour of the Fulton Mall with the Parks Department.  We were trying to decide short, medium, long range priorities.  Much of the Mall is a real mess.  The concrete, the aggregate, the planters, lights, fountains and garbage cans are all in pretty sad shape.  Whether or not you are a pro-mall or pro-traffic person, there will need to be a major investment to fix this core of our downtown.  Even examples like Santa Monica and Charleston have renovated their pedestrian malls.  Preserving what we have isn't going to work very well.  Patching will just make it look worse over time.

4:45  I met at the Trade Center building to confirm the location for the Urban Entrepreneurship's class presentations.  We're hoping to use the newly renovated 10th floor and also hoping that all of you (are there still 11 of you?) that will join us on December 3rd from 3-6...stay tuned.

6:30  The Mayor had a Town Hall Meeting in Woodward park Library.  She continues to move around the city engaging with neighbors about their localized issues as well as citywide issues.  It was gratifying to see how much interest there was in downtown revitalization from the folks in the Woodward Park district.

8:15  I met with Brian Glover from Penstar after the Town Hall meeting.  Penstar did the new building at Kern and M streets in dowtown.  Penstar made a huge investment in downtown and have been real leaders in efforts from the Property Based Improvement District to the Specific Plan. 

Home at 10:00, done with blog at 11:30.  Lights out!

2 comments:

  1. Craig, It was great hearing you speak at today's Town Hall Forum."Transparency" seems to be the "word of the day", transparency only works if you know what you are talking about to begin with! Your life long passion for Downtown Fresno is evident, and I am proud of your work and enbthusiasm! Keep it up, my friend! Thoughtful, comitted citizens, can indeed change the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach Carter says that Craig is a first class pupil! Way to set the bar high for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete