Wednesday, December 2, 2009

12/1/09 San Francisco

Well, one of the trials of blogging on a consistent basis is consistency. I'm a day behind and I have a million other things to do. But if I don't do them tonight, I'll just be farther behind. Yikes. So this was really written on Dec. 2nd.



I am on the Community Advisory Board for Union Bank. The CAB is made up of 10 people. We have 3 year terms. I joined the CAB last year. Actually, I started this January, but I applied and was accepted last year. We meet 5 times a year. The CAB was formed to help Union Bank to serve their communities better. We make suggestions, give advice, provide feedback when asked, and to act as friendly critics. I am the only representative from the San Joaquin Valley, including Sacramento.



I just completed my first year on the CAB Board and was the Chair of the Housing Committee. We were handed the task of holding a design charrette for an affordable, green, infill housing project in Los Angeles. We held it in Hollywood in October. This meeting was year end wrap-up. The highlight was meeting Mr. Tanaka, the CEO of Union Bank. We had an opportunity to hear his thoughts about the economy and could ask him questions. His main messages were that the recovery would be slow and that small business lending and growth are the solution.



My main goal for the CAB is to have them hold a meeting in Fresno. I'll let you know if this will happen, stay tuned. It would be great exposure for them and for us.



After the meeting ended at 2:00, I went to the Salvation Army Headquarters in SF. The Fresno SA arranged the meeting and tour for me. They wanted for me to see the quality of the projects that the SA is doing now. Ernst Bauer was my tour guide. We spent our time at the Kroc Center in the Tenderloin. This amazing facility has housing for emancipated foster youth, seniors, veterans, and drug and alcohol treatment for homeless people. The facility also has a gym, after school programs, a pool, a pool and rec room, a weight room and a dance center. It's pretty amazing. Google it to get a real picture of this place.



At 5:00 I met my son in SF for dinner at the Tadich Grill. He was already meeting Trevor Dudeck his buddy. We had a great meal, neither had been there before. The lamb shoulder was fantastic.



I dropped the boys off at the Moscone Center for a car show...Trevor had scored free tickets.



I got home at 10:15. No blogging after that. I watched an old south park rerun that was on and hit the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment