Tuesday, December 1, 2009

11/30/09 Budget redux

A great holiday that included tennis, Men Staring at Goats with Smitty and Elana, and fly fishing the lower kings.

I started with a run with Ellis the dog at 5:00.  There was a lot of traffic this morning, we saw four other people.  I guess it's time to get up a little earlier.

At 8:30 we had our department's management meeting.  We mostly discusses the upcoming budget hearing and discussed what kinds of information the councilmembers might want.  The Film Commission, including our Commissioner Ray Arther, and the suspension of the Municipal Restoration Zone were on the agenda for cuts.

10:00 Councilmember Westerlund organized a meeting with Mr. and Mrs. Leo Valdivia, the owners of the Liberty/Hardy Theater.  John Raymond, the Assistant Director of the Redevelopment Agency attended too.  Marlene Murphey, the RDA Executive Director attended by phone.

We met to discuss possibilities to make the Liberty (on Van Ness, just south of Tulare) more active.  We introduced the Valdivia's to one potential promoter.

The Council hearing began at 2:00 and ended about 8:45.  I'm sure that it will be covered in the media.  The film commission and the MRZ were both eliminated as part of the overall cuts.

I had to jump in the car and head to San Francisco.  I got in about 12:15.  Just enough time for a very basic blog.  I'm in SF for a Union Bank Community Advisory Board.  I'll fill you in in a later post.  The meeting starts at 8:00.  I still have a couple of photos to add to a Powerpoint I'm giving tomorrow.

Sleep tight, Craig

1 comment:

  1. That's great news about The Liberty Theater. That's such an awesome venue and location. Things really need to get going there.

    ReplyDelete