Thursday, December 3, 2009

12/3/09 We're Thick With Urban Entrepreneurs

I did it, back up at 4:45 for a run. Didn't want to, but I did, Coach Carter.




7:00 meeting with Preston and Eileen from the Housing Authority, Rollie Smith from HUD, John Raymond from Redevelopment and Keith Bergthold from Planning. I continue to be amazed at what a specialized world the whole affordable housing field has become. It has its own markets, laws, industry, finance...I've never really wanted to know about this specialized field. I've known that it was it's own world, but it my current position, it is a key area for financing projects. I'm trying to move from being a skeptic, to becoming an open-minded skeptic. But, at least the people are smart and fun to be around!



8:30 I had a phone call with Marvin Smith, who is the owner of the Rowell Building. It was an opportunity to give him an update on some of the activities that are happening downtown like the specific plan, PBID and downtown development incentives. We'll meet next week. Marv gave me an update on the building's status too.



10:00 We had an internal meeting regarding the specific plan. Wilma has completed the scope of work. Now we are planning our presentation for the council meeting on December 17th. I hope that some of you can join us.



11:00 I met with Jim Christianson, a gentleman that I had met at a talk that I gave a few weeks ago. I gave him an overview of the downtown revitalization plan and the entertainment district concept. It is great to have people who are interested enough in downtown to take time out of their days to come in and find out more.



12:15 I met Dr. Welty and Cynthia Teniente-Matson, Vice President for Administration at CSU, F to give them information about the downtown revitalization effort. I showed them some of the downtown buildings activities around ArtHop and Mono and L Streets.



1:00 I went to buy snacks for the Urban Entrepreneurship presentations.



2:00 We began to set up for the class' final presentations. They were held on the top floor of the Trade Center in the ballroom.



3:00 The presentations began. The class did a fantastic job. Every presentation was solid. I am very proud of the student's ideas and efforts. Thanks to the people who showed up to support these up and coming business leaders and to the Trade Center for letting us use the room.



6:00 Many of the students and folks from the Lyles Center headed to Tokyo Garden for an after class celebration. I love to be around the students...they are a really great group of young adults. It is encouraging.



The Hotel Fresno item that was on today's City Council Agenda was continued for two weeks. I heard from Amy Huerta that the Economic Development Corporation passed. The freeway signs for downtown were also delayed for a couple of weeks. That's what I know for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment